We know what it takes for young people to achieve success. Extensive research from a variety of sources cite the following critical factors of positive youth development:
- Good adult role models, ideally parents and family members
- Basic needs adequately met
- Physical and emotional health care
- opportunities to develop interpersonal and social skills
- meaningful chances to both participate and lead
- an educational system that responds to the individualized needs and that challenges them
- exposure to the world of work and the chance to develop the skills to be successful
Where we seem to fall short is the community wide commitment to a LONG TERM effort to prepare all young people for college, work, and life by the time they reach young adulthood.
What will it take to secure that commitment–from all sectors of our community? What do you think?