Peace Learning Center presents:
Understanding & Analyzing Systemic Racism Workshop (facilitated by Crossroads)
The purpose of this anti-racism training is to provide an opportunity for participants to explore an analysis of systemic racism and to begin to discern how this analysis shapes institutional identity, commitment and work. Participants will examine basic strategies for dismantling racism within their organization. This is a 3-day training.
2 1/2 day Analyzing and Understanding Systemic Racism Workshop for up to 35 participants.
Goals of the workshop:
- To provide participants with an analysis of the misuses of power that reinforce white supremacist and racist ideologies, institutional structures, programs and services in the United States.
- To help people understand the intersections between racism and other forms of systemic oppression.
- To assist participants to begin building shared language and concepts around the social/political constructions of race and racism;
- To explore the diversity of racialized experiences in the institution;
- To build an understanding that dismantling institutional racism is an internal organizing effort and to introduce concepts associated with that understanding;
- To place racial oppression in the broader context of oppression in the United States;
- To identify how long-term antiracism/anti-oppression work might take place to equip organizations with strategies for intentionally dismantling oppression and with intentional restoration of equitable and just human and environmental community.
Workshop Content: The content of the workshop will include discussion of the historic development of institutional racism, the ongoing realities of racism today and especially how racism manifests in your specific institution. A common definition of racism which includes a “power analysis” of the functions of various racial economic strategies as well as the investigation of internalized racist oppression/internalized racist superiority will also be explored. Emphasis is given to exploring institutional and cultural manifestations of racism, in addition to individual manifestations. Tools for dismantling institutional racism are also introduced. The workshop utilizes large group presentation, video presentation, interactive discussion, and small group assignments/activities as modes of learning.
Schedule: Tuesday, March 28th 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 29th 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Thursday, March 30th 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Scholarships may be available for those who are unable to pay the full registration fee of $350.00 Please contact Tiffany at email@example.com for further information.
Park passes and lunch will be provided.
Peace Learning Center, 6040 DeLong Road, Indianapolis, IN 46254
Early Bird Rate: $300 (until Feb. 28) Regular Rate: $350 (after Feb. 28)