Given the current climate, youth are experiencing higher levels of stress, trauma and anxiety over immigration related issues. Because youth are carrying these concerns with them to school and their after school programs, we felt it was important that those working with youth had an understanding of the issues being faced, the laws as well as best practices for creating a safe space for all of the youth in their programs.
Issues to be discussed:
- Current climate impacting youth in regards to immigration
- How to respond as a youth worker to bullying and trauma kids are experiencing
- Strategies and resources specifically for youth workers
- General information on immigration and the fears currently being experienced
- Myths and misconceptions shaping the landscape
This session will include a 2 hour training followed by a 1 hour panel.
Trainers: Carmen DeRusha, Purdue Extension and Terri Morris Downs, Immigrant Welcome Center
Panelists: still to be confirmed.
Location: MCCOY 1375 W. 16th Street